Sometimes I stumble into the right decision. I reluctantly cancelled today’s office hours and rescheduled tomorrow’s exam via this email to LA245 students:
I hate disrupting the schedule. However uncertainties created by Hurricane Sandy make it prudent to reschedule tomorrow’s exam and juggle the next few classes. A number of students are stranded in weekend travel destinations and the University has cancelled classes and urged that non-essential personnel limit travel to campus (ironic, isn’t it, that teachers are non-essential personnel?). Under these circumstances I am not going to hold office hours. I think the risk of storm-related injury is negligible but I could not live with myself if something happened while you were in transit. I considered answering questions via Skype or holding a Google Hangout but there is a significant chance that some of us–especially me–will lose power during the next day.
I just received an alert that the MBTA will suspend all transit service today at 2 pm–which means students who wanted to attend office hours would have had to walk, bike, or take a taxi. Had I not already cancelled this would have forced my hand.